Saturday, March 22, 2014

Re-thinking

Finishing charter feels like finishing finals in your Freshman year of college, knowing theres more to come and it was hard when they were happening but all the stress is off your shoulders and you can go have fun! 

As soon as the guests got off the boat yesterday all the crew were able to let loose and go out on the toys and have a day to themselves. We took out the jet skies, explored the island, wake boarded. swam, snorkeled. Found out that the island next to us with the windmills has four private huge houses on them and its own seaplane and pilot and costs $75,000 for one night on the island. The island is solely run off the windmills and from the water you can see the entire island and all the houses. Very very small island but it would be so amazing to get away from your busy life and completely relax. We all say on vacation we can have a relaxing day or whatever but this honestly couldn't get more relaxing with no cell service, no where to go and no one at all to bother you...can't get much better then that. Also yesterday took the jet skies out close to two yachts anchored out on charter and drove by to show them we were having more fun then them. We see that all the time so needed to show off a little bit. so the next few days to really relax because we've got a busy upcoming season in the Mediterranean. 

We just came from a long, busy winter season then straight into a two month yard period with very few days off and very little time to ourselves so after this short but very busy charter we are able to relax. This is exactly how I want to job to be; working my ass off for a short amount of time just knowing right around the corner we have a day to relax in the most beautiful places in the world.

As I'm typing this, I'm sitting on a private island in the middle of the Bahamas, on a red painted comfy beach chair with a pure white sandy beach at my feet, Big Eagle in the distance, the sun shining and listening to the waves crash. Can't get a much better job then what I'm blessed with right now. As much as I wished this lasted forever, I know it won't and I'm so thankful to be able to experience this with great people. 

As many know, my passion for traveling and exploring the unknown is what I strive for in life.  I'm always very envious of the people who have been places where I have not. Being able to talk about our completely different experiences in the exact same places is the most interesting way of getting to know someone. Being able to connect through stories in exotic places and learning able other cultures through others stories broadens my perspective and mind. I've been to Brazil but hearing a story recently about Brazil makes me want to travel back there and do certain activities and see new things. I was talking to someone the other day about being able to travel in places where most civilization doesn't even know about and be able to tell people stories that seem so unreal that they have to question me if these stories are sincerely true. 

Even being in this yachting industry for a short amount of time and because money seems to be no object in these peoples lives it really makes me want to go out and help the people who are really struggling in life. Every single one of our guests thus far on my boat have been billionaires...that's with a B. BILLIONAIRE. I know they help out with certain causes or universities around the country but I would personally like to go in remote areas in the world and help starving people or build a house for a family who are living in the slums of India. Something that I can sleep at night knowing there is a little more happiness in the world because of me. My job has really opened up my eyes to the world to see what I do and do not have in life. Lucky to have what I have.  

Growing up privileged and able to have the world at my feet, I had blinders on to the rest of the world for so long. Traveling a lot with diving and my family, I was able to see the world but it all didn't slap my in the face until recently of the life I lived and what I was use to. I always told myself when I was younger I didn't want a job, didn't need to make my own money and have my own life experiences, I would just meet the right guy and he would take care of me. I would live my life as a caring mother and wife and that's all I needed.(taking after my parents haha) Now after having a solid job and making great money I can see where women strive to have a great job and don't like solely relying on their partner. Makes me stand taller and more proud knowing I have my OWN money thus not relying on my parents any more! Thats the biggest stress reliever. I'm also very fortunate and one of the few college students coming out of college with no college debt at all, which has helped me enormously. I'm saving every penny I make and my next big goal in life is to buy a nice car. Once I'm back in one place in the world and not in the middle of the ocean most of the year I can buy a car with the hard earned money. 


My parents always taught me to make goals in life; small or big but I didn't really listen (as does most children). But now becoming more independent in life and understanding I have to grow up at some point, I know these goals are important. I'm lucky with my job not having any experiences which is unheard of. Bills, bills, bills are what most people my age and older are worrying about and that never enters my mind. Just solely saving all my money for the bigger picture and my family down the road.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Ellis - your grandmother just shared your blog with me. I LOVE it! Looking forward to following your adventure! I wish I would've known/thought about this type of job all the years I was single! I worked 13 years for people who spent their summers traveling and in Indy and on Maui in the winter so kind of know some of what you do. :)
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete