Friday, May 9, 2014

Mid-Atlantic blog

It's official, I am in the very center of the Atlantic Ocean and I'm on the internet posting a blog...

The world we live in never ceases to amaze me. The wifi on the boat right now is actually working better than it did in port of Fort Lauderdale. We have been cruising now for nine days and we have another six to go. This has been a trip from hell but we have had two solid days of calm seas and no vomit. The next two days are said to be calm as well, then getting closer to land the swell is intended to pick up and we will not be working it will be so bad. 20 knots of wind on the nose. I'm dreading that day the waves start but I know just around the corner we will be in Spain and it will all be over. Proud to say I've done an Atlantic crossing but I more than likely will never volunteer to take part in another one.

I've just came inside from lounging on the party deck and finished reading another few chapters in my book "A House In The Sky," while I watched dolphins jump a few feet out of the water outside our wake. Seems like a scene in a movie when I put it that way but this trip hasn't been much of anything like a movie. I'm actually tired of laying in bed; having nothing to do but hold on for dear life and wonder if my stomach is upset because of the waves or because I'm hungry. Until yesterday I was eating about a half a meal a day. Wasn't able to keep much down at all. The chef doesn't get sea sick at all so he is always up in the galley cooking up lamb chops, steak the size of my head, salmon, etc. If you can only imagine being sea sick and then getting a nice whiff of salmon while laying in bed on your backwards roller coaster, the smell only seemed to make it 100 times worse.



Before leaving for the trip across the pond, the chef had to provision for all the meat we would use to get over here and maybe the first couple of charters which cost $15,000. So we are having to cut down some of our supply while in the middle of the ocean. Tonight we are having sushi and over Cinco De Mayo we had "Nacho Night." As much as we all are getting sick of each other and not being able to get away when tensions are high, we still try and make the nights fun to be able to get through this god awfully long trip.

We have an idea on a charter we may get pretty soon after arriving to Europe. Mariah Carey's music producer...Who knows if it's actually someone "famous" but would be cool to say someone cool has been on my yacht and to actually meet them. I'm sure Europe is going to be a whole different ball game and I'm just going to be in shock when it comes to some of the stuff that goes on. I was told from one of my crew members that he got to witness (from another boat nearby) a 200 person party with a laser show at anchor off the coast of Corsica. Just imagining that and being able to be a complete creep, get out the binoculars and see what's going on on another big boat near by will be awesome. I'm sure I'll be able to write stories for days once I arrive and the season starts up.

We still have no chief stew for right now but we have acquired a new deckie, his name is Freddie, 21, from England but grew up in Kenya and sailed on England's National team for a few years. Seems like a fun person to get to know and adding another young person will help the crew dynamic for sure! He joins when we arrive in Gib.

                                                                     (This mornings sunrise)


That's all for now -

Peace&Love

No comments:

Post a Comment