Sunday, January 12, 2014

Living The "Simple" Dream

I have recieved quite a few comments asking how I got this amazing job? How can they get this amazing job? and how can they live MY life?

Never thought someone would be asking to live my life. Very normal born and raised Indiana girl with a little twist. I am so excited to tell everyone about my journey but I don't want to let the cat out of the bag on this amazing job...or else I won't have a job. But what I can do is tell you how thankful I am for having this job and the people who pushed me to do it. Took awhile to get to where I am but I'm so glad I took the plunge.

---------

"Living" in Bequia for right now is rough but something I couldn't experience fully anywhere else. We took a tour of the island yesterday and learned more about it. 6,000 people live on this island, it's one of the biggest islands of The Grenadines. Their Prime Minister is trying to push them into Communism which doesn't allow anyone to go in our out of the country so their are riots and different horrible things coming up trying to stop his power. Going on shore is like a scene out of a movie. I would always think to myself, "where do they come up with these sets? Why are there so many happy people roaming the streets, all the time? No one ever really wears those rasta mon hats, do they?" But they do! Everyone is out on the streets with a smiling on their faces (maybe because they are all high all day long) but still, these people love theirs lives and have no shame. The poverty around is real but(ab they still keep a smile on their faces.


Their lives are simple. This (above) was a "fancy" building. To the right is a fruit stand where I got some of the most amazing passion fruit, which I've been picking off trees the past month and eating. Unreal fruit, my new favorite. To the left is their only bookstore, bank, and quick mart on the whole island. If you need anything abnormal aka hamburger patties...you have to go to mainland, which is St. Vincent, a two hour fairy ride. 


The local Pizza Hut. We didn't get to experience it yet because Tolan just made 11 pizzas for 10 people but maybe next time we go back on land we will be able to try how Bequia does Pizza Hut.


This is the water on Sugar Reef. Amazing small resort with 9 rooms total and $565 a night, very secluded but worth the money. We talked to the owner who is originally from North Carolina but moved to Bequia in the 80's and bought 40 plots of land for 1 million EC which is about $60,000 US and now one plot of land is going for $1 million US! He is doing very well in his investment! Very laid back islandy old man, and once again was just loving his "simple" life. 

Checking out my view on January 11, 2014. Not too shabby. 

After taking a tour of the island and seeing all the local spots we then went to find a bar which had the play offs playing. Colts vs. Pats, which my chief stew and chef are fans of and I'm of course a Colts fan so we had a fun time watching the game at a local bar sitting around in what looked like a locals living room. Big comfy couches that didn't match, putting our feet up on the tables and just relaxed while watching the game, even though the game wasn't that relaxing for me. We were screaming and everyone was looking at us probably thinking, "You stupid, loud Americans, we are trying to have dinner here!" They like the sport of cricket here so they don't get "American football." Surprisingly enough about half time we had another group of six Americans come into the bar and cheer with us. They were colts fans as well so it got a little rowdy! Very fun and long day on land but much needed. 

Today (sunday) we are just going to stay on the boat and have a nice lunch for our First Mate who is leaving today after 12 years of working on Big Eagle, he's going back to his farm in Costa Rica with his soon-to-be-wife and start a life, off the boats. So we are just going to hang out with him and see him off tonight. Chill Sunday but it's nice and sunny and we are watching more football...can't complain about that. 
Cheers,

Happy Birthday Mom! Love you so much!



No comments:

Post a Comment