Sunday, December 8, 2013

Last few in Laudy

Sunday December 8, 2013

Four days until I take off to Antigua to start my new journey as a stewardess on Big Eagle, 172ft (50m) yacht. I have only a few more days in the crew house. Started off in a crew house living on the top bunk bed with a South African man sleeping bellow me, snoring all night long. Then come to find out my food was being eating not by me but the rats that had made a home in our home. After figuring out that there were nicer accommodations out there I finally moved into an all female crew house that was recently redone inside and newly furnished. I met some amazing people in my last crew house and have seen them here and there but only stayed friends with one guy and he was a South African named Anton. He's been in the industry for a year or so and just came to Fort Lauderdale around the same time I did. He took an 87ft (29M) catamaran from the tip of South Africa to somewhere in New York. 37 days at sea. He then flew down to Fort Lauderdale and started looking for work after that. I have learned so much from him and he is a genuine friend that I will keep in touch with along my entire journey.

After moving into my new house I met more amazing people. Living with two South Africans, Danish, Americans, New Zealand, and Australian girls all living under one roof and ALL searching for the exact same job. We all are new to the industry, (green) stews and looking for "big" boats. A big boat is considered 50m or bigger and those are hard to get on. Even though we were all rooting for each other it was hard seeing others get interviews over one another but everyone stayed positive. We got along great and the best thing about being in this industry is everyone keeps everything very clean and cleans up after themselves. No dishes ever left out and everyone loves making beds and doing laundry. Always a plus. 

I've made great memories as these two months have flown by. Been on the beach plenty and have learned an amazing amount of new things. I thought I knew some about boats and could keep up but I learn something new every single day just from small stories that are told. Everyone has an interesting story. 

Can't believe I'm already off onto the next chapter of my life, we will see how everything pans out on Big Eagle.

Until then...

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for letting us see the world with you. You will be going places I will have to Google to find. Soak up every bit of this amazing journey. Safe travels. We love you.

    ReplyDelete