Friday, December 13, 2013

Taking Flight

December 13, 2013

Last night in Fort Lauderdale couldn’t have been anymore relaxing with the two true friends I met there. Portia who I took my STCW class with and have been looking for jobs together ever since I got to FL and then Anton, who I lived with as well as helped me find smaller jobs and gave me a lot of insight on the industry. Sushi for dinner and drinks at a small local bar in rocking chairs and by the fire was the consistency of my night. We sat for hours just telling stories about our lives and where we all thought we would be in five years. We actually all had about the same thoughts on five years from now, none of us pictured our lives as they were today so we figured it would completely different in five years. They both are in their 30’s and still don’t have a life plan so I don’t feel that bad.

Early morning wake up call to catch my train down to Miami to then catch a flight straight to Antigua. Miami seems to be becoming less and less like a part of the USA, I can’t believe the amount of international people here. The English language was 4th or 5th language being spoken among the mass herds of people. Culturally this is what I strive to be apart of every day, learning new things that really do interest me and excite me. Don’t know how much Miami, FL would be an option later on in life living in but defiantly a culture shock if you come to Florida thinking it’s going to be like the laid back life we had in Bonita Springs.


Three hour flight to Antigua, one hour ahead of New York time (Indy time) and off we go.


Leaving Miami heading to Antigua

Nelson Bay where Big Eagle is located

Made it to Antigua. Greeted by my Chief Stew (Abby, American) by a beer. Cheers to a good flight and everyone else being hung over. I was greeted by the Chef, Tolan (Aussie) Bosun, John (Scotland) and Abby. Took a cab to the other side of the island. The island is 14 miles long, they drive on the wrong side of the road and pretty much everyone walks or takes cabs everywhere. Very much an island feel even since the boat show was here last weekend. Came straight to the boat to get unpacked. I have a room to myself until Monday but I'm sharing a room with the new deckhand from North Carolina once he arrives on Monday. Off to dinner with the crew to an island, local type food. Loving everything so far!

Cheers 


No comments:

Post a Comment